The smoke stretches for many kilometers/miles.
The wildfire situation is continually evolving and the information below is current as of 12:00 p.m. on Sunday, Sept. 10, 2017.
- There are currently 166 wildfires burning in British Columbia.
- Since April 1, 2017, there have been a total of 1,225 wildfires in the province that have burned approximately 1,168,910 hectares.
- Detailed information on wildfires of note is updated throughout the day at: www.gov.bc.ca/wildfiresofnote
Crews and equipment:
- There are 3,087 firefighters and other personnel currently fighting the fires. This includes:
- 303 from out of province
- 1,413 contractors
- There are 128 helicopters and planes supporting ground crews to fight the British Columbia fires.
Evacuations and impact:
- There are currently 15 evacuation orders and 29 evacuation alerts related to wildfires. For further information, visit: https://www.emergencyinfobc.gov.bc.ca/
- Evacuation routes are determined by local governments in consultation with the BC Wildfire Service.
- There are approximately 4,302 current evacuees due to wildfires.
1168910 hectares = 4513.187 square miles
Area burned larger than the state of Ohio, & still burning.
Comparison map of British Columbia with Ohio….